The Independent National Electoral Commission on Wednesday told voters to file a lawsuit against candidates who they knew submitted false certificates to the commission.
INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, made the plea in a statement in Abuja.
The statement was sequel to the publication of the affidavit containing the personal particulars of the candidates contesting for the June 18 election.
Okoye announced that the list and personal particulars of candidates contesting the elections had been published in the INEC State and Local Government Offices in the State.
He said the publication was in compliance with section 31(3) of the Electoral Act, 2010 (as amended) which provides that the Commission shall within seven days of the receipt of the personal particulars of the candidates, publish it in the constituency where the candidates intend to contest the election.
“Similarly, as provided for in section 31(4) of the Electoral Act, any person who has reasonable grounds to believe that any information given by any of the candidates in the affidavit accompanying the information or any document submitted by any of the candidates is false may file a suit at the Federal High Court, High Court of a State or the FCT against such a person.
“We enjoin members of the public to engage the electoral process by scrutinizing the personal particulars of candidates contesting the Ekiti Governorship election and ensure that the sanctity of the electoral process is maintained and the intendment of the Electoral Act realized,” Okoye stated.