The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)’s Registrar, Professor Is-haq Oloyede, says about 1.6 million candidates have been registered for the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
Oloyede, who made this known at the end of a joint monitoring exercise with the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr David Adejo, in Abuja, said the registration which would formally come to a close on Wednesday, 22nd February, 2023 had been seamless.
He said that in the cause of registration 15 persons were nabbed over some infractions, particularly extortion, adding that the culprits would soon face the wrath of the law.
He disclosed that registration for direct entry candidates commenced this Monday.
According to him, “So far we have registered about 1.6 million candidates because we do not expect more than that, and that is because the direct entry starts today.
“We have the challenge of the normal people who want to defraud the process as we have been monitoring what has been happening.
“We are ahead of them even when they think they are clever.”
The Permanent Secretary in his remarks said that there was need to extend the registration to give others faced with the challenge of naira redesigning opportunity to register.
“This is especially because registration process is dependent on bank operations and we’ve not have the top level of bank operations in the last two to three weeks for understandable reasons,” he said.”
Adejo noted that before the extension of registration for one week, JAMB had actually registered about 98 per cent candidates, saying that no one would be left behind in its registration process.